MotoGP's cure for insomnia:

Grab a beer, sit back and discuss whatever you like.

However............NO RELIGION or POLITICS!
Ronan

Re: MotoGP's cure for insomnia:

Postby Ronan » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:55 am

Over a hundred years ago, when the first maniac came putt-putting down the road in his steam car, all the horsemen said, "That will never last, while we still have horses!"

Yamanatic

Postby Yamanatic » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:05 pm

Too bad Yamaha isn't moving a little faster with delivering their PES1 and PED1 electric gizmos, but I would really like to own a domestic production bike, and I am not willing to wait out the likes of the Harley Livewire or some such truck. The HD designers started in with the 'noise' aspect, and are trying to make the bike sound like a jet fighter; it will probably be 80% Chinese, and more legacy than progressive conception anyway.

Gravity, inertia, and time don't lie (at least not at sub-light speeds), and it looks like the E-bikes are finally starting to fall in line with the carbon-fuel based units with good range, speed and weight numbers. The amount of effort and money going into battery and drive technology world-wide insures improvements and upgrades on an ever accelerating basis; prices are falling in line too, with the Zero ranging from $11K to $16.5K.

This ought to really be a burr in the bonnet for many, but it will be interesting to see what a self-driving cycle is like to ride! Consider the autonomous Drag Racers who are now running full size R/C pilotless cars. The day will also come when us fossils who have to hang up our leathers because of physical limitations, but we still might still able to race via Joystick in the future =). A good friend paralyzed himself on a TD1 back in the 1960's, and he transitioned to modeling; he's now one of the top model aircraft builders and pylon racers in the country; bet he'd build an R/C motorcycle to race if the option presented.

On a more personal preference note, 21st Century bikes leave me a little flat. Besides the cost, they are just too 'appliance' like to own and ride for my tastes. Fast as bejesus, precise handling, and totally reliable, but severely lacking in the personality and subtleties that make them what I ride (and rebuild and modify) for. Watching the used market, the electrics currently hold their value much better than the gassers; a 12 year old sport bike is nothing to bet the bank on. Since technology and utility are the waves of the future, might as well ride something unique. I wonder how long the Zero will last in space? When someone finally launches one in to the solar system atop their favorite rocket, my bet it will catch the Tesla before it reaches the asteroid belt!

Warren

M.duMaine

Postby M.duMaine » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:06 am

It might even be succesfull with dragster cars and bikes.
There the power consumpion is high for a short time, perfect for batteries.... but boring .. :oops:

Michel

RC45

Postby RC45 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:07 am

Ronan wrote:Over a hundred years ago, when the first maniac came putt-putting down the road in his steam car, all the horsemen said, "That will never last, while we still have horses!"

I don't believe the same applies here. As bike complexity and prices have gone up - ridership has gone down. We have practical examples or overly complex cars from the last 30 years literally falling apart in the electronics and systems areas and losing all resale value and really only maintaining a niche interest group as they become repairable.

Although we see that steams car did in fact fall by the way side as there where overly complex and not efficient as IC powered cars ;)
3MA track refugee
YZR500 OW81 rep
NS400 track refugee
TZ500V track refugee
1RK Silhouette TZ535
2KM
NF5
3YL

Gerrit

Postby Gerrit » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:08 am

DKW built a steam-powered car during WW1, this was intended to get around Germany's oil shortage; once WW1 ended the steam-powered Deek disappeared. DKW, incidentally, oficially stands for Dampf Kraft Wagen or Steam Powered Vehicle, though the abbreviation was later also said to stand for various other things including "Das Krankenhaus Wartet" or "The Hospital is Waiting"!
Post-WW1 DKW produced two-stroke cars and bikes and by the mid-1930s was the world's largest motorcycle manufacturer. After WW2 DKW moved to Ingolstadt, the original factory at Zschopau eventually becoming MZ.

TeeZed

Postby TeeZed » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:31 am

Gerrit wrote:......,though the abbreviation was later also said to stand for various other things including "Das Krankenhaus Wartet" or "The Hospital is Waiting"!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Don
Your life is made up of two dates and a dash........make the most of the dash. ;)

Return to “Down in the Shop...”