Casting

List the parts/services that you can supply that are NLA here. Please give all the details and were you are located (country).
JRConck

Re: Casting

Postby JRConck » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:08 am

I have found that shipping my YZR cases overseas is an almost impossible task (I could not let go of them). So I have reached out locally to get a quote. Process is looking like, 3D scanning, add any internal oil/water passages, make casting tooling, cast, machine. I have one set of unusable mag cases that have significant cracks that may serve to answer any questions about internal passages. Process is started.

jim s

Postby jim s » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:54 am

A recent casting presently in the workshop for line-boring of the crankshaft journals (sorry guys this one is a four stroke, but i will have some two stroke cases on the go soon). The process so far has been to machine the mating faces of the upper and lower cases and then they were taken to an aero engine recondition facility for lapping of the two faces for the best accuracy. Next the outer ( L and R) main bearing locations were pilot-bored to a nominal bearing size that is still smaller than the final size - this was done on a conventional milling machine. Now for the line boring of them , the previously mentioned pilot bores have " C2" (low clearance) bearings fitted to them and a precision mandrel runs in these as per the pics below... once the inner bores were completed the we can swap position of one of the bearings and machine the next bore and so on. the set up inherently provides absolute accuracy and the machine is only needed to drive the mandrel.
Attachments
DSC09151.JPG
DSC09151.JPG (164.82 KiB) Viewed 71 times
DSC09157.JPG
bearing has been moved ready to do the top bore
DSC09157.JPG (149.81 KiB) Viewed 71 times
DSC09162.JPG
Its always good to have supervision on tricky jobs
DSC09162.JPG (118.01 KiB) Viewed 71 times

jim s

Postby jim s » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:59 am

the cases ready for line boring to start
Attachments
DSC09133.JPG
top and bottom cases torqued up ready for line boring.
DSC09133.JPG (137.41 KiB) Viewed 71 times

Return to “After Market Parts/Services Providers”