Started assembly of my A1R engine

Those Kawasaki road racers are really cool. Lets hear about them.
brizzobrit

Started assembly of my A1R engine

Postby brizzobrit » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:05 am

Hi Folks,

I haven't visited in a while, but thought this might be of interest. Started assembling the engine of my A1R project over the weekend.

This has been a long term labour of love acquiring everything to complete this bike. Just on 14 Years.

Nicely rebuilt rank courtesy of John Kelsey using an A7 donor crank and A7 rods slotted by an engineering firm on the Gold Coast. Original A1R crank preserved for posterity. Some balance differences apparent and the oil slinger arrangement is different.

Bit of a 3 dimensional jigsaw puzzle as the engine came to me loosely assembled but with lots of detail bits in a couple of plastic containers.

Cheers
Ray

TeeZed

Re: Started assembly of my A1R engine

Postby TeeZed » Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:51 pm

Hi Ray,

Your engine looks good. Thanks for posting the pictures and please keep us updated with your progress.

Don
Your life is made up of two dates and a dash........make the most of the dash. ;)

Yamaco Charlie

Postby Yamaco Charlie » Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:15 pm

Don't forget the little O-rings at the outher sides of the crankshaft to prevent oil consuming!
"keep on rolling on two wheels"

brizzobrit

Postby brizzobrit » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:50 am

Thanks Charlie. As a novice, I think it would be easy to miss the o-ring gaskets for the oil feed to mains and the tacho oil-pump drive. Took some thinking to work out that this special little bolt was required in crank oil feed hole.

More progress. My order of case screws arrived

So I proceeded to install as much as I could. Clutch partially assembled with magneto in place.

Thats all complete now. LH disc valve was cruddy but cleaned up well. O-rings added for tach/oil pump drive oil supply (from gearbox)

Clutch cover temporarily fitted to shape and fit oil lines, tach/oil pump drive cleaned up and fitted and oil pump temporarily in pace to route oil lines. I have no experience with 2 stroke oil pumps. Are they buggered by disassembly for cleaning? What is the best way to clean? OIl lines were cleaned to remove 40 years of gunge and the check valves cleaned also. Oil lines will be adjusted into final position once the old hard plastic lines have taken a 'set' to shape. Replacing the spring 'clamp' on the RHS oil feed at the pump is going to be interesting. Think I'll need some very hot water to soften that hose. Unless someone knows of a source for the thick wall plastic tubing.

LH barrel and head loosely installed to gauge appearance.

Next up. Repaint outer engine covers. Tighten up clutch and engine nuts (awaiting 26mm socket). Check that magneto timing looks roughly correct. Install wiring harness for magneto. Seal (clutch side) and screw down top cover. Clean up oil pump and install. Can this be primed in situ??

Following that clean up barrels, check piston clearance. Bore is +0.5mm over so piston choice is limited. I will initially see I can get this running with +0.5 standard A1 pistons, which as far I can tell will require the use of standard A1 heads also as the crown shape is slightly different. This has been the limitation with proceeding with putting this engine together. A1 pistons will likely alter the port timing, but I can live with that if the engine runs. I'll do a post on pistons and what I know about that and the 'in the day' substitutes when I get to that.

Still chasing a few minor frame parts for this project, so if anyone has a line on a gear change linkage assembly and tacho / front fairing mount(s) that would alleviate me having to make something.

Until next time.

Cheers
ray

jim s

Postby jim s » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:21 am

Hi Ray, for what its worth i took one of those mikuni oil pumps apart (many many years ago) to see if it was good to use on a bike i was building up and found lots of fiddly little spring loaded shims etc within and i couldn't confidently re-assemble it... at the time i decided i wouldn't take one apart again. I personally would bench test it with a battery drill and a short bit of rubber tube as a drive adapter (i believe they only work turning in one direction) if you set up a couple of hundred mills of new oil with gravity feed to the pump and bleed it on the screw or inlet banjo then hold the control lever around you should see it pump in "surges" every second or so .If it does this ok and after its pumped nice clean oil through it should be good to go. I recall some of the manuals used to give a volume that it should pump per minute or such - that could be a reassuring check when the engine is running (on 20:1). Thats my 5 cents worth ... an expert is likely to surface now!

Yamaco Charlie

Postby Yamaco Charlie » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:08 pm

Ray,
those O-rings at the bolts for the rotary disc are important and you didn't forget them. Allright.
But there are 2 other little O-rings wich can be forgotten quite easy. I did it by myself and Nats-forum member Gerrit told me wich O-rings there are:
follow the link below and give attention to the part numbers 10 and 26:
https://www.cmsnl.com/kawasaki-a7ss-ave ... ml#results

Esspecially the RH side is very importamt, because this on isolate the gearbox from the crankcase. If you forget this ring the cranckcase will consume all the oil from the gearbox and that is somethingh you don't want.

Charles
"keep on rolling on two wheels"

Return to “Kawasaki”