Fall is Here

OK Guys, show what you are building/restoring! You do know we love lots of pictures?
170plus

Re: Fall is Here

Postby 170plus » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:56 pm

No, not original D model silencers, but the D's silencers were not rebuildable - yes, looks like a good job done to graft a rebuildable option on. Certainly look like OEM D model exhausts.

Ditch the stock shock. By the time you add a stiffer spring and get it rebuilt you could almost have a much better modern unit. There are a number of good options out there, Work Perf, Wilbers (basic or full-spec - I have a basic on on my CMR and can't rate it highly enough), Nitron, Maxton, etc. The upper end of the market will have alternative springs available, rebound and compression damping (perhaps even high and low speed), ride height adjustment (which eh OEM shock did not have) and perhaps a remote reservoir (especially if it has compression damping adjustability). The basic Wilbers has rebound damping and ride height adjustment, no remote reservoir and various spring options - it is easily good enough.

PROJ350

Postby PROJ350 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:18 pm

Appreciate the shock advise! From what I see online Works is out of business and other options are around $1k. I have a local company that can rebuild the original for about four hundred dollars, not sure if that includes a better spring.

170plus

Postby 170plus » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:46 am

My basic Wilbers, with ride height, rebound damping adjuster and a spring to suit me was a little over US$500. Current privce may be a little different (bought mine a year or two ago). There'd be shipping on top of that. Even if it was $800 I'd have the basic Wilbers in stead of a reconditioned original - they are that much better. Email Vince Cundle at vince@fondseca.com - he had sourced some from Wilbers in Germany.

Return to “Two-Strokes Projects”